Job title: Senior Editor I
Location: Duluth, GA
Purpose: Responsible for a wide range of duties in support of preparation, review, clearance and publication in various formats (i.e., abstracts, manuscripts, reports, scientific posters and presentations) of scientific information generated by Merial scientists, technical staff and external collaborators. This includes drafting and revising materials as needed, providing periodic training/workshops on scientific writing to scientists, managing Merial’s scientific literature clearance process, and working with journal publishers/editors (e.g., in development and coordination of special supplementary issues). Must have thorough knowledge of scientific publishing process, including current trends in publication.
The Senior Editor must also be able to translate complex scientific information into compelling lay language for use in various internal and external Merial communications to support R&D actvities. May serve as R&D comms liaison and provide content for various Merial internal communications (newsletters, intranet stories, blog entries).
Additional responsibilities include editing company procedures (SOPs) pertaining to R&D activities for clarity and consistency; identifying, deploying and managing an electronic process for scientific literature review; leveraging existing tools and software (e.g., SharePoint) necessary for electronic publishing of materials and implementation of collaboration tools; and managing other departmental activities as assigned by the Director, PIMS.
- Manage process for clearance of scientific literature: communicate policy as needed; oversee assignment of reviewers; assemble and review comments from reviewers; sign off on releases or prepare review summaries.
- Draft, revise and edit scientific materials including abstracts, manuscripts, reports, posters and presentations.
- Define and implement new electronic system for managing scientific literature review process.
- Edit SOPs pertaining to R&D activities for style, consistency, clarity, and accuracy of information.
- Provide periodic training on scientific writing and publishing to internal audience (scientists, technical services personnel, etc.)
- Work with project teams and Global Commercial Development to prepare scientific materials for launches, new claims, etc., including coodination with scientific journal publishers and editors for supplements, proceedings, and other materials.
- Provide accurate lay translations of scientific materials as needed; write copy as requested for various Merial internal and external news outlets. Review and edit stories prepared by contract writers, Corporate Communications or others for accuracy and messaging.
- Work with other PIMS staff and IS teams to implement and maintain new communications modalities, such as SharePoint collaboration sites.
- Promotes R&D communications and messaging internally; serves as liaison and provides content as needed for various Merial newsletters.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrated skill (5-7 years experience) in scientific/medical writing and editing, print and electronic production and scientific publication.
- Advanced degree in science (MS); veterinary medicine (DVM) strongly preferred.
- Previous experience editing for scientific journals a plus.
- Ability to use and evaluate sophisticated computer systems and software packages, conduct literature searches, etc.
- Must be a good communicator, detail-oriented and able to deal with multiple priorities, clients, and deadlines.
- Proficiency in MS Office environment; familiarity with SharePoint, HTML, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop a plus.
Merial is a world-leading, innovation-driven animal health company, providing a comprehensive range of products to enhance the health and well-being of a wide range of animals. Merial employs 6,600 people and operates in more than 150 countries worldwide with over €2 billion of sales in 2014. Merial has three main business areas: pets, farm animals, and veterinary public health. Our pharmaceuticals and vaccines focus on disease prevention and overall health and wellness in animals, and target more than 200 diseases and conditions across a variety of species. Merial is a Sanofi company. For more information, please see www.merial.com; @Merial
Merial Limited and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or
liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job : Medical
Primary Location : United States-Georgia-Ga Duluth Ga
Job Posting : Oct 27, 2016, 6:04:08 PM
Job Type : Regular
Employee Status : Regular