Technical Production Manager
As The Weather Channel television network, we have heightened focus on innovation, first-class storm coverage and hyper-localized weather information available through our various TV platforms including: The Weather Channel, WeatherScan and Local Now. For more than 30 years, The Weather Channel television network has inspired viewers to explore, investigate and appreciate the experience of weather in all its forms.
We are one of the most widely distributed television networks and the leader in severe weather coverage, providing the most comprehensive real-time programming of any media outlet, with trusted meteorologists who analyze, forecast and report the weather.
Weather is inherently fascinating, and we share our passion through the stories we tell to our audiences through our programming. The more our viewers engage with us, the more our stories illuminate how weather impacts almost everything.
We’re always looking for new talent to keep us on top like someone incredible to fill the job listed here.
The Technical Production Manager (TPM) is responsible for providing operational, technical and production support in Atlanta for all TWCN Dayparts of programming and be the key point person throughout all steps of the production process. The TPM will coordinate all technical and logistical requirements prior to air and then in the control rooms to ensure that all technical aspects of the production go as planned. This may include booking and scheduling of facilities. In a live news environment, the TPM will coordinate and communicate with remote organization locations (such as live shots locations, affiliate studio locations, etc.) to ensure technical quality and readiness for air. This role will be expected to insure an efficient utilization of company resources within s fast and rapidly changing news environment and maintain technical and broadcast quality. The TPM will work with other NBC entities, including NBC News, NBC NewsChannel, CNBC, outside broadcasters and vendors to identify, negotiate for and secure resources, also to work with other NBC broadcast and cable affiliates in cross programming and simulcast initiatives.
This is a 24/7 operations, working all hours, days, nights, overnights, weekends and holidays is a requirement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Sit in control during live shows, communicate with remote crews, provided hit information, communicate needs of show; communicate in a professional manor with EP, producers, directors, constantly talking satellite operations assuring all live shots are in and on time
- Coordinate and communicate with remote origination locations to ensure technical quality and readiness for air
- Listen to changing needs of shows, looking for live bump shot opportunities, getting on telex, phone and coordinating live shots needs for control room
- Ensure efficient utilization of company resources within a fast paced rapidly changing news environment
- Work with other NBC entities, outside broadcasters and vendors to identify, negotiate for and secure required resources.
- Supervise assigned crews
- Learn and utilize all broadcast equipment required to perform job function, includes, waveform monitors & vectorscope, audio level monitors, shading equipment
- Maintain constant communication with control room staff, on live shot availability, IFB & PL assignments
- Create IFB & PL assignment sheets, distribute to all control room & sat ops personnel prior to each show; utilize excel and other management tools for producing these sheets
- May be required to fill position in satellite operations center, tuning satellite feeds, booking satellite space and in-house resources; operate all necessary equipment to effectively work in satellite operations. Handle both inbound and outbound feeds via Fiber and/or Satellite
- Act as resource to Broadcast Operations on all future technical requirements for TPM position in control rooms, everything from REM, telex, router, computers
- Responsible for providing operational, technical and production support for TWC’s primetime and/or Dayside programming throughout all steps of the live newsgathering production process; coordinate all technical and logistical requirements prior to air and then in the control rooms to ensure that all technical aspects of the production go as planned
- Plays key role in HD transition and the maintaining of the day-to-day HD operations in for field applications
- Broadcast Operations liaisons with all departments involve in the control room
- Represents TWCN/NBC Universal, working to build positive relationships with NBC, vendors and contractors. Negotiating and maintaining relationships with NBC and vendors on all items necessary for the success and future of The Weather Channel Network
- Must be a self-starter and works independently
- Must be able to do all tasks at VAC, peaking satellite dishes, tuning IRD’s, tuning feeds, use of L-Band router, video router, Crystal Controls, rasterizers and spectrum analyzers
- Must align actions with company and departmental goals, with success
- Provide leadership, technical and operations support, customer service to ensure successful implementation of live remotes
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcasting, Communications or related field
- Extensive experience (3 or more years) in television production process including control room, edit, field, graphics, master control, audio, technical directing in a live Broadcast Operations environment
- Must have understanding mix-minus, IFB, PL, routers, audio and video level adjustments
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience working in a news environment and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously is a must.
- Have hands-on experience in studio and news production environment and ability to quickly respond to last minute change is a priority.
- Problem solving skills applied to organizational and technical effectiveness
- Multi-task oriented with ability to effectively manage operational resources.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work well under pressure and tight deadlines with excellent interpersonal skills in a team-oriented environment
- Interact effectively “horizontally” through TWCN as needed, with the ability to work closely and collaboratively with multiple departments and senior management
The Weather Channel does not accept agency/search firm referrals for this posting, or other postings, without prior written permission from The Weather Channel Human Resources. The Weather Channel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
The Weather Channel operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hours worked by The Weather Channel associates will vary according to job responsibility and scheduling demands of each department.
The Weather Channel is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary. Any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way. If you choose to complete this form, please follow the link below, complete the form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org, which is a confidential e-mail in box. You may also fax the completed form to 770-744-2021, which is a confidential fax number.
Relocation costs are not provided for this job, by submitting a resume, candidates understand and acknowledge that The Weather Channel will not provide relocation assistance or support and that relocation will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate.
PLEASE NOTE: Human Resources does NOT provide application status updates via the telephone. Confirmation of receipt of application will be sent via e-mail once the application has been successfully submitted.